Friday, May 9, 2014

GOT 4.03: Part I "Breaker of Chains"

Another jam packed episode! I divided it into two parts: 

We begin immediately where we ended in 4.2:


Cersei is screaming for Tyrion to be arrested, and for someone to find Sansa as well. King Tywin orders the city shut down, and that she be found immediately.

Where is Sansa? Well Ser Dontos takes her through all of these back alley ways to a row boat. It is dusk, and suddenly as they seem to be getting to the end of their boat ride, it's night time, and foggy! In fact, I thought that the ship was one of the ones that was still in the harbor after the Battle of Black Water.  However, Sansa, going up the ship ladder, and re enacts a scene from the books where she and Dontos are going down to the water on a long narrow ladder to the row boat.

But it is Petyr Baelish who is awaiting them at the top of the ladder. Sansa is completely shocked, and he is completely icky, and then kills Dontos. Sansa, being her naive self, is horrified because he was only helping her because she helped him. But Petyr explains that Dontos was a drunk, who did whatever he told him to do for money. He also smashed the stones on the necklace, as it was made of glass. He also explained that she was simply a pawn in a larger game, and that everyone at Kings Landing thinks that she killed King Sociopath. Sansa needs to know, why? why? Well, she's the daughter of a traitor, and why wouldn't she have killed King Sociopath? But have no fear! She is safe on the boat with him, as he has come from the Eyrie, where he is to marry her Aunt Lysa. She should not worry her pretty, little head, as she is going home.

Now let's get to this week's dedication:

The Queen of Thorns: 

"You did good work with Joffrey"*
Because Joffrey was a dry run, for marrying a sane boy king.

Margaery & Lady Olenna

The "Queen" count for Margaery: 
  • Queen
  • Widowed Queen
  • Queen
  • Widowed Queen
  • Queen-in-Waiting?
Margaery is sad because her grandmother is leaving, and she will be left all alone with the mean Lannisters. Lady Olenna, said that it is absolutely time for her to leave, as her work is done.

"Grandmother, am I cursed?" 
Margaery: What a horrible death! My second chance at being Queen, and someone killed King Sociopath.

Lady Olenna: My darling, you are simply a widow, the game is not over.

Margaery: But Grandmother! I want to be THE QUEEN! I was THE QUEEN, for 77 courses of food, and that vile entertainment!

Lady Olenna: Don't be foolish, Margaery. Did you think that I would let you marry that monster? The next one will be easier, and we need to tread carefully. Now, is not the time to bring up next steps, ie. Tommen. *

Margaery: Yes, Grandmother, I am just tired of waiting.

The Mourning of poor, dead King Sociopath

King Sociopath is lying dead, with the stone eyes, and his Valyrian sword on his body. Cersei and Tommen are grieving; well it seems like Cersei is grieving more than Tommen. Why? Well, King Tywin gets his attention right quick, and right in from of King Sociopath's dead body.

What a fantastic scene:
"You're mine now, all mine"
King Tywin: This is very sad, and well, Cersei it 's your fault King Sociopath, was a sociopath, so you can cry all you want, but no one else cares.

Cersei: I am grieving for my first born, and I can't believe that you are giving Tommen a pop quiz on being a King.

King Tywin: I am going to ignore you, and keep talking to my new apprentice, Tommen. So, Tommen, let me give you a quick history lesson, and then tell me the best quality of a good King. Oh, and clearly your brother was a terrible King, otherwise he wouldn't be purple and dead.

Tommen: Grandpa, it's wisdom! Am I right?

King Tywin: Why yes it is! It is also very important to remember that you must listen to your advisors, aka the real King, me, so that you learn how to be a great King. When you are King, you must continue to listen to your advisors, so that you may continue to be a powerful King, who will have a long reign. (actually good advice, as a leader should always have strong advisors) Let's go, as this is boring, and I can tell you all about marriage, and the birds and the bees.

Then Jaime enters and stops to check in with his other son, as he leaves with King Tywin.

"Uncle Jaime, I mean Dad, I'm not sad anymore.
Grandpa said I can get married!"
Jaime asks everyone to leave, so he can be alone with his sister. Cersei is very sad and that Tyrion told her (after he had to pretend that Roz was Shea, who she found her as vengeance for his sending Myrcella away) and wants Jaime to kill Tyrion. Her reasoning is that he told her that "The day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid"**, but left out that she did something that warranted such words.

Jaime, for some reason, is shocked that his sister would ask him to do such a thing. Now, she does this in the book, but remember, Jaime returns after Joffrey is dead.  She often tries to manipulate him into killing Tyrion, or doing a myriad of other things because he loves her, and then says something mean about his hand. So, when they are making out, and she recoils from the hand, that's on track with her feelings about his hand. Then we go into the controversial scene, and my thoughts are here: http://priestessofapollo.blogspot.com/2014/04/43-character-of-jaime-lannister.html

Moving on to other areas of Kings Landing....

Tyrion's Cell

Pod visits Tyrion, and brings him writing tools, books, some cheese, bread and sausage. It's actually quite a nice scene, and Tyrion realizes that he is screwed. I think that he also reinforced the fact that he did not do it, and he is being framed. Why? Because anyone who knows him and even hates him, know that he is too smart to kill the King in such a sloppy manner.

Pod also tells Tyrion that he was offered a knighthood if he testified against Tyrion. But he turns it down, and Tyrion freaks out. He tells him that since he said no, they will kill him, and he must leave immediately. Tyrion says "This is good-bye Pod", and Pod leaves the jail cell.

The Red Viper & King Tywin

Well, he and his Paramour are enjoying a bisexual orgy the brothel. OT: I know that the Red Viper will be facing the Mountain, and I also know that he and Ellaria love each other. Although we see Oberyn and Ellaria are always having orgies, they are presently, the love of each other's lives. 

But just as he and Ellaria are about to get it on, King Tywin shows up to have a quick chat with the Red Viper. It is particularly lovely that Ellaria stays on top of Oberyn, until Oberyn decides that he can probably cut the orgy short for King Tywin. We also get another great character moment courtesy of Pedro Pascal. How you may ask? He does small things that tell us more about Oberyn. In this case, it is the way he rolls up and off the bed. It showcases his athleticism, and that he has the skill of someone familiar with the martial arts. 

I love the verbal sparring of the next scene.  King Tywin is such a narcissist, that he can't see that Oberyn has one goal, and one goal only: to kill the Mountain, and maybe Tywin as a bonus.

Oberyn vs. King Tywin

Oberyn: Everyone! let's take a break, King Tywin wants to talk and lie about whatever. 


Gods, I'm thirsty, it's been a busy afternoon
King Tywin: I heard that you met with Tyrion before the wedding. 

Oberyn: Yes, he welcomed me to Kings Landing, here, at my other home, the brothel. I assume that you are asking if we conspired to kill King Sociopath? Are you kidding?

King Tywin: I need to know definitively if you decided to kill my grandson. 
"I don't believe a child is responsible 
for the sins of his father or GRANDFATHER".*
Oberyn: Well, clearly he was poisoned.

King Tywin: Didn't you spend some time at The Citadel? 

Oberyn: Yes, that's how I know that he was poisoned. Just tell me what you want, so I can get back to my afternoon.

King Tywin: I'm here to ask you to be the third judge at Tyrion's trial, so I can inadvertently kill him.

Oberyn: Why would I want to be a judge at Tyrion's trial? I'm here to kill the Mountain, and maybe you as a bonus. (also the Martell's and Tyrell's have a beef from long ago)
"Give me the Mountain, and then we'll talk."
King Tywin: I will give you a seat at the Judges Table, and one on the Council of Vipers and Weasels. Westeros will never, ever, be whole without the people of Dorne.

Oberyn: This is interesting, after twenty years, you suddenly need Dorne?
"You want to be a friend of Dorne?" 
King Tywin: Let's get real: The Others are coming, Winter is coming, and there are dragons across the Narrow Sea. We need to know how you resisted the Targaryen dragons. Plus, you have Marcella, so do we have a deal? 
"Say yes, and I will give you the Mountain"
Oberyn: Fascinating. Apparently you think that I, the most dangerous man in the realm, is a fool. I'll give you my answer when I feel like it. Now leave me. 

Just a reminder: 
I am Prince Oberyn Martell of Dorne, aka,The Red Viper
King Tywin= 0
Red Viper= 1

Stannis & Davos

Well Stannis is angry, because King Sociopath is dead, and it is a result of the burning leeches filled with bastard's blood. The one thing about Stannis is that he sees the world in black and white, not gray. He knows that Kings are not dying because of some stupid leeches. However, he was broken by the loss at the Black Water, and this new plan is keeping the dream alive. Remember how he was practically catatonic after that loss, and Crazy Mel was acting as Hand of the King? As soon as Mel left to find Gendry, he seemed to gain clarity, and he often gains said clarity, through his conversations with Davos. Go here for my S3 thoughts on Stannis: http://priestessofapollo.blogspot.com/2013/06/part-ii-episode-305-episode-306.html

I am angry all the time, and thus no longer sexy
Stannis: King Sociopath, the Usurper, is dead. I know it was the leeches filled with bastard's blood, that made it happen.

Davos: Do you hear yourself? You and I both know the Red Woman is full of crap, and that killing leeches doesn't bring us ships or an army. In fact, we are losing both money and ships because of her "cleansing fires". But I know that it makes you feel better if you think that she helps your cause. Oh, and don't forget to threaten to kill me too.



Stannis: Fine. I am going to keep breaking my toy ships until you get me some real ones. I refuse to become a page in somebody's history book, and be a nobody. Seriously, between you and all the crap I have to do because of the whole R'hllor stuff, I'm angry all the time. Give me options.

Davos: I've got a few houses to our cause, but you keep burning people who can give us ships, so it has been a challenge. Plus we don't have the money to hire more men. I think that we should go to the Iron Bank, and hire the Golden Company. We all know that they never break a contract. 

Stannis: I'm not going to deal with sellswords and borrow money from the mob, I mean the Iron Bank. You are completely useless, so you had better come up with something soon, or as you said, I might have to kill you. 

Davos: Fine, I'll check in with you later, when you don't sound insane. 

Davos& Shereen
"I have wasted my entire day
waiting for you, Ser Davos!"
Shereen: You are late for your lessons! I have been waiting for you all morning, and I have a super cool book for us to read! 

Davos: I swear Princess, you are just like your father, relentless. But you know, the work of the Hand never ends.

Shereen: Remember don't move your lips while you read, only little kids do that. This is a fun book, a lot of adventures with famous pirates, like you!

Davos: I'm not a pirate, I was a smuggler. If you are a famous smuggler, you are not very good at it. 

Shereen: Father says if you are a bad man, you're always a bad man. 

Davos: "Your father lacks an appreciation for the finer points of bad behavior"*. (another great Davos quote!) I almost got killed by one of the great swords of Braavosi once...OMG!

Shereen: What?
"Princess, you are brilliant!" 
Davos: It was great talking this out with you. I have an amazing idea, but you need to start writing a letter for me, as my writing still sucks. Start with: "Dear Iron Bank, from The One True King Stannis Baratheon...."

Let's go to Part II, and see what our girl Arya is up too...


*All images are owned by HBO, "Game of Thrones"
* All quotes from Season 4.3, "Breaker of Chains"
** Tyrion to Cersei "A Clash of Kings" by George R.R. Martin



No comments:

Post a Comment