Tuesday, April 29, 2014

GOT 4.02: Part II "The Purple Wedding (The Lion and the Rose)"

I have waited for three seasons: King Sociopath has finally died, and what a death it was. We'll leave the final, horrible moments for Part III, as this will be too long.

The Part II & Part III Dedication:

King Sociopath
As a product of twincest, the sociopath and monster that he turned out to be, is no surprise. He was more dangerous because he was King, and the real King, King Tywin, could only control him when he was not in the public eye. He killed Ned Stark, who will forever and always be my favorite character in this series. He killed an honorable man for fun, and got turned on when he tied up and killed prostitutes. He proved his mother could not control him, and most importantly, he began THE WAR OF THE FIVE KINGS.

King Sociopath 
But it wouldn't be right, not to thank the brilliance of Jack Gleeson as King Socipath. He turned Book Joffrey, a 13 year old who began killing small animals for fun,  into the 16 year old, full blown HBO Monster, King Sociopath. A monster who many knew would become even crazier than the Mad King; who burned people for fun, amongst other things. Season 2 would never have been the same, if Tyrion hadn't been slapping you all season long. A brilliant performance, and as much I wanted King Sociopath dead, I will miss the monster you created.

Let the festivities begin!

Kings Landing
Jaime & Tyrion
 I'm the Kingslayer, Captain of the Kings Guard, 
and I can't fight with my left hand.
I am so screwed. Everybody will make fun of me, 
and I can't protect King Sociopath.
Seriously, how funny is it that father's offspring are:
"The Proud Lannister Family: 
The Dwarf, The Cripple, and The Mother of Madness"*
Jaime: I can't even pick up a glass of wine

Tyrion: Stop whining, you lost a hand, and I spill wine all the time. You'll just have to learn how to fight with the left one; and you'll be amazing again. (Wow, he sounds a bit like Brienne when Jaime first lost his hand, right?)

Jaime: But it has to be a secret. 

Tyrion: Bronn will do it, he's a sellsword and a badass. He'll get you back in shape.

Jaime: Okay. You're the best brother ever. 

Tyrion: I know.

Jaime and Bronn
Jaime, is waiting for Bronn.

This is my," I'm still totally hot with one hand", pose
So, this is my problem with Tyrion suggesting that Jaime work with Bronn. One of the ways Jaime begins to think of himself, as Jaime, and not Jaime + Cersei, is deciding to learn how to fight with one hand. This detachment from Cersei, is a huge part of his story arc. Jaime and Cersei thought of themselves as one person, thus why it is so important that he makes this decision on his own. So, with  Tyrion telling him what to do, it takes away the power that Jaime is beginning to find within himself. 

As many of you know, the actor who played Ilyn Payne, has cancer, and could no longer be on the show. He played Ilyn Payne brilliantly, and I wish him great hope and strength, in his fight against cancer. 

Okay, back to Bronn: 
Bronn has taken up the role, which is good news, as it means that he will not be following Book Bronn's storyline after 4.3. Book Jaime trains at night, and chose Ilyn Payne because he was an amazing swordsman, and could not tell his secret. Book Jaime trains for hours, and puts his heart and soul into trying to fight with his left hand. He always talks about how he is so sore, beat up and bruised in the mornings, and makes up some lie as to why he looks like that. 

The Wedding

Breakfast
Tyrion strolls with Varys before the big breakfast. Varys says that Cersei knows about Shae, and Tyrion believes that Varys is loyal to him. But Varys is like "no way, you know how psycho your sister is, right?" When the beautiful breakfast is over, Tyrion goes, breaks up with Shae, and no one cares.....except for Cersei, who informs her father who she is, at the breakfast. 

King Tywin: Send her to my chambers for after the wedding. 
Cersei: I'll take care of it Father.

The Happy Lannisters at the Wedding Breakfast
Aaah, a glorious breakfast with King Sociopath, who is as always, very charming. He receives many lovely gifts: 
  • a beautiful jeweled chalice from Mace Tyrell
  • "Lives of the Four Kings", by Grand Maester Kaeth
    • There are only four copies of this book in existence, and this is one of the four. 
  • Tyrion says "A book every King must read"
  • The smaller half of the sword from ICE, that King Tywin stole from Ned
It's kind of funny that the larger sword is given to Jaime, his father, and the smaller one to King Sociopath, isn't it?  King Tywin is no fool, he knew that King Sociopath was Jaime's son. Perhaps he did it on purpose as to keep it in the family? I have no idea, but I wouldn't doubt it. 

Naturally, as the deluded, King Sociopath he is, there must be a dramatic moment for naming said sword. People call out names! What will he choose? Naturally is must be "Widows Wail", because King Sociopath is an idiot, and thinks it's cool because it implies that he killed someone, and made them a widow.

He take his beautiful Valyrian sword, which is he can barely wield, and chops up the book given to him by Tyrion.  Everyone looks a bit horrified and embarrassed at such a lack of respect to the past, and what it means to be a King. 

The Ceremony: 
The Happy Lannisters
But at least Margaery looks beautiful, and shows the reverence and beauty of a future Queen on her wedding day: 
The moment when King Sociopath gives 
Margaery the sacred Lannister Cape
And so we leave the Sept, and "Let the Games begin!" of which there are many on this glorious day. I apologize if they are of order in terms of the pre-poisoning games.

#1. King Tywin vs. Lady Olenna


Lady Olenna: What a glorious day! I am so glad that I'm getting my money's worth, oh I mean our money's worth

King Tywin: Yes, a glorious day. I think that we must all do our part, even though it is a waste of money. 

Lady Olenna: I know that we must, and the price of war has become sooo expensive.  The Iron Bank always get their money, just like the Lannisters always pay their debts. (remember in Season 2, when Tyrion said that Littlefinger had borrowed a lot of money from the Iron Bank)

King Tywin: The Iron Bank, who? Oh, yeah, them. I'm not afraid of some bank in Braavos. Every thing is running smoothly here at Kings Landing. 

Lady Olenna: You are not fooling me with your excuses. You know how the Iron Bank, always sends the Faceless Men to get their money. (But that's not a problem, right? Only Arya Stark will be one of them soon enough, and perhaps this will be her first stop.)  

King Tywin, Debt? I have no idea what you mean, we are the Lannisters! We are made of gold. 

Lady Olenna: Alas, let's chat about this later, and celebrate our business arrangement, and the debts that you owe me. 

Well if you count last season the total is: 
Lady Olenna: 1
King Tywin: 1

Bronn assures Tyrion that Shae is safely on her way to Pentos.

They do this fantastic almost slow motion panning of the camera around the courtyard and around the back of  King Sociopath's head and into his fave position: comfortable lounging to the side, on his elbow. I love it, as it shows him watching the singers, and gives the illusion of his power.

Queen Margaery is leaning forwards, as she listens with deep interest to the Lannister family's theme song. Damn she's good. King Sociopath thinks that she is bored, and throws gold coins at the singers, and kicks them out. Queen Margaery, sensing bad things to come, says "my love let's make our announcement.  King Sociopath introduces the Queen and she announces how all of the leftover's will go to the poor. Cersei, stops by on her way to Pycelle, kisses her on both cheeks and says:

"You are an example to us all"*

Cersei finds Pycelle slobbering over some poor young thing, and tells the girl to run, and fast. She orders Pycelle to give the food to the dogs. Pycelle makes the mistake of telling her that the Queen has ordered the food to be given to the poor. Cersei says "I am the Queen", and to do as she commands. Keep that in mind people, as she slips towards her crazy self.

#2 Jaime vs. Loras
The two worse kept secrets in Westeros having a conversation: 
"I'm gay and let's be frank, your kid's getting married today. "
Jaime: Your sister looks very beautiful

Loras: As does yours, on this glorious day.

Jaime: Listen to me carefully, I may have one hand, but I can still kick your ass. You will not marry my girlfriend, I mean my sister, as she will murder you, and then any children that she may bear.

Loras: Whatever, I'm not marrying her, and neither are you.

Loras: 1
Jaime: 0

Lady Olenna and Sansa
Lady Olenna walks over to Sansa, who is sitting like a statue as Tyrion keeps drinking like a fish. She tells her some false platitudes about how sorry she is about her brother, and that her lazy, husband, should let her pay her a visit to Highgarden and see the world. She touches her necklace, and her hair. It is most likely the only time Sansa has smiled in months.

I am so sorry about your brother. It is so gauche to kill 
The King at his own wedding.
Meanwhile we see Oberyn giving Loras, who I think is rather adorable with his curly hair, "let's have a threesome later" look.

Meet us at around 7:00 at the brothel, 
we'll have a threesome.
Brienne
Brienne walks up to the royal table, and clearly shows that she has been doing pilates, because her back was so straight, it looked like she was split in half. She congratulates Queen Margaery and then both of them on their wedding day.
Queen Margaery
Queen Margaery and Brienne
Naturally, King Sociopath, says some stupid, ignorant stuff about how great it is that Brienne killed Renly. Queen Margaery, says, "no my love, that is a lie. Brienne did not kill Renly".  I love how she used the words "my love", when she speaks to Joffrey, as it is so manipulative, and brilliant at the same time. She uses it several times during the wedding to try to reign in King Sociopath. Good thing he died, as using "my love", to marginalize him, would have probably not been very effective in the long term. 

I don't even know how to label this scene, but the scene between Cersei and Brienne, shows her naiveté. In the books, she has been locked up as Loras thinks that she killed Renly. Plus, Cersei hates anything she deems ugly, ie. Tyrion, and they never actually meet. 

#3. Brienne, Cersei & Jaime

Poor Brienne, she realizes too late that she''s been played: 

Cersei: Lady Brienne? If you actually are a Lady,  I haven't thanked you for saving my brother. 

Brienne: He actually saved me, your Grace. (thinking that Cersei would say something along the lines of "I know, I am so lucky that he is my brother (boyfriend), we are so fortunate that he is with us again". You know actually say something nice about Jaime, not use it to shame Brienne. But that would be a Queen Margaery thing to do, right?)

Cersei: Well that's lovely, but I know that you served Renly, Catelyn Stark, and then my brother.

Brienne: I did not serve your brother, your Grace. 

Cersei: Mmmm, I don't like you very much because Jaime likes you for reasons that are inexplicable. Let me be very clear: Jaime is mine, and he does whatever I want, which means he can only think about me. But I have to ask, are you in love with him?


Wait, I'm in love with Kingslayer? It can't be so. 
Brienne: OMG! I have never thought about him that way, but now that you ask, maybe I am! I need to leave immediately as I feel very uncomfortable right now

Jaime looking at this conversation:
Crap, they are totally talking about me. 
Well, deep down Jaime knows that he really, really likes Brienne, and even worse, he's totally confused, because he's never had feelings for a woman, who is not his twin sister. I know, both ick and yeah!

Moving on to the best confrontation of the evening (I could only remember so much of it correctly, so improvise as usual)

#4. Cersei and King Tywin vs. The Red Viper w/his Paramour, Ellaria, at his side

Oberyn: Lord Tywin! Lady Cersei**

King Tywin: Oberyn! It is so wonderful to see you after all of these years. It has been too long.

Oberyn (to Ellaria): The Lord Hand and Lady Cersei.  I suppose it's the former Queen Regent?**

Ellaria: My Lord, My Lady.**

Cersie: I can't say that I've ever met a Sand before.

Ellaria: We are everywhere in Dorne. I have 10,000 brothers and sisters.**

Oberyn: Bastards are born of passion. We don't despise them in Dorne.**

Cersei: Oh, how tolerant of you.

Oberyn:  I expect it is a relief Lady Cersei, giving up your regal responsibilities, wearing the crown for so many years must have left your neck so crooked.**

Cersei: And it is such a shame, your brother, The Prince could not be with us today.

Oberyn: The pain of gout is too much for him to travel. I would have come anyway, as how could I miss this glorious day.

King Tywin: Well, I make sure to work out every day, and eat right. We don't lounge in the sun, and eat olives, like our friends in Dorne.

Oberyn: "Every where have their differences. In some places, the high born frown upon people of low birth. In OTHER places the rape and murder of children is considered distasteful. What a fortunate thing for you, FORMER Queen Regent, that your daughter, Marcella, has been sent to live in the latter sort of place. "**

Just because this scene was so fantastic, we'll tweak the points:  
King Tywin: -1
Cersei:  0  (she had nothing to do with the murder of Elia)
The Red Viper: 2

Let's move on to Part III, and enjoy the ending of this glorious day.


* All images are owned by HBO, "Game of Thrones"
* *All quotes from Season 4.2, "The Lion and The Rose"

No comments:

Post a Comment